Saturday, May 21, 2011

Beginnings

I begin this blog as I do this day, with waiting. Like most, I do an extraordinary amount of waiting.

Today, I wait for the FedEx man. Do you think it's sexist that I assume it's a man? Well, while I rarely receive deliveries from FedEx, the few that I have received have all been delivered by men. And (yes I start sentences with the word "and" on occasion, it's something you're going to have to learn to live with) two days ago I witnessed a FedEx delivery at a business, and that person was also a man. This time assuming only made an ass out of you.

Anyway, FedEx estimated that my package would arrive yesterday, and when it didn't I couldn't help but to contrast FedEx with another company, Amazon. Amazon sends me things via either UPS or USPS. Amazon's delivery estimations are consistently over shot. I receive all of my Amazon orders at least one day in advance. This leads to a serendipitous feeling even though the consistency of their "earlier than expected" estimation contradicts the "unexpected surprise". And though I recognize this as a none too subtle business practice geared towards manipulating their customers, I am still elated upon receiving an "early" package. I approve of this practice.

FedEx however, apparently tries to honestly estimate and give it's customers an unbiased answer. Boo FedEx! How dare you sirs! (Ok this time I'm assuming that the people in charge of making decisions at FedEx are men and therefor I am being sexist.)

Lastly, while I wait, I wrinkle my nose at the scent of swamp and sour dirt emanating from my sneakers. Hurry up FedEx man (again, not sexist).

No comments:

Post a Comment